Monday, February 21, 2011

Watercolor Stamping

Hi Everyone,

In addition to seeing tons of new companies and products, the CHA show is also always a great resource for new crafting techniques (or old techniques with a new twist). One of these new (at least new to me) tips I discovered was a way to make your stamped images take on a watercolor effect. This is such a simple technique, I was amazed I hadn't seen it before.

All you need to get started is a fine mist spray bottle filled with water, a rubber stamp in the image of your choice, and water-soluble markers in the colors of your choice. I am using the Tombow Dual Tip Brush markers and a cling rubber stamp from Hero Arts.


Use the brush tip of the marker to color in your image. You do not need to be real meticulous about it, but be sure to get a good amount of coverage on your stamp surface.


I like to start with the lighter colors and work up to the darker colors so I don't inadvertently stain the tips of my pens with darker colored ink.


Once you have the stamp covered in ink, just spritz the surface of the stamp with water-a couple of squirts should do the trick.


The ink will bead up on the surface like so:


Then stamp your image onto your paper of choice.


Lift away your stamp and you have a lovely "water-colored" image


You can use a little more water to make a more abstract image:

You can also stamp on various textures to create a different effect. Here I stamped on Sundance Felt paper. I found this to be more reminiscent of the type of paper used in traditional watercolor.


This is a great twist on traditional stamping technique and is perfect for some of the holidays coming up this spring like Easter and Mother's Day!

Happy Stamping!

Amanda

1 comment: