Friday, May 7, 2010

Bookbinding for a Beginner

Hi Everyone,
For Mother's Day, I was planning to give my mom a photo album with some pictures of us I have collected over the past year. I went on a hunt for an album and found some really nice ones, but I wanted to do something that was a little more personal. We have this really great handmade paper at the store that totally reminds me of her, so I decided I would try my hand bookbinding. Of course, I decide to do this 3 days before Mother's Day (completely consistent with my procrastinating nature). I thought it would be best to do a practice run with one of the mini kits we carry from Books By Hand. The kit I picked out required actually sewing the pages together, which seemed a little intimidating. This also being my first attempt at bookbinding, I had pretty low expectations, but I have to say, they actually turned out pretty good and now I'm completely addicted! The instructions in the kit were very thorough and it had everything I needed except for the PVA glue. It was really pretty easy and only took me about 30 minutes to put together each book. Not too bad for someone who isn't really an expert crafter. Anyway, now I get to try the real deal for Mom. What are you all doing for your moms this year? We would love to hear about some of your creative ideas!
Happy Mother's Day!
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment