Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Get Cooking with Galison

Calling all cooks, bakers, and special-occasion food makers! I am so excited about the new line of food-inspired organizational products by Galison that we have in the stores right now. I love to cook and bake and enjoy clipping new recipes from magazines. I also have a ton of passed-down recipes, scrawled on scraps of paper or on faded recipe cards. As much as I both enjoy pulling pages from Bon Appetit and cherish my stepmother’s potato salad recipe, written out for me in her nice script, I find that I don’t often make the recipes that I have saved. Over the years, I have tended to just shove everything into a box, so now that whenever I try to go and find something all that usually ever gets made is a promise to myself that I will one day organize all those recipes!

Well, so long to empty promises and years of procrastinating! Galison has come to my rescue! Besides being functional, the Kitchen Collage line is bright and cheery. These are pieces you want to put on your counter and admire. The Recipe Binder, I think, is my favorite in the collection

It has sections for recipes for all the food groups (fruits and veggies, breads and pastas, meats and poultry, etc) and each tab has pocket into which you can put-you guessed it-magazine recipe clippings!


It also has 8.5x11 pages where you can transcribe, or if that’s too much of an effort, staple in worn out recipe cards. There are also very handy measurement and equivalency charts.
I am also pretty keen on the rest of the line, which includes coasters for setting your drink down upon whilst waiting for the cookies to bake; sticky notes to make grocery lists; and recipe boxes to give to your equally disorganized or superiorly organized friends.

Kitchen Collage is a life saver of a collection. But don’t take my word for it, come in and see for yourselves. And to add to your collection of recipes, here is one for banana bread from my aunt Nettie. Bon Appetit!

Tiffany

Aunt Nettie’s Banana Bread

Ingredients

3 ripe bananas
1 tsp baking soda
1c. sugar
½ c. butter
2 eggs
1 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
½ c. nuts (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a bread loaf pan. Mix and mash the bananas and baking soda and set aside. Cream sugar and butter. Blend in eggs. Add flour, salt, alternating with banana mix. Pour mixture into pan and bake for 1 hour. Stick toothpick in for doneness (it should come out clean).

No comments:

Post a Comment