Tuesday, December 21, 2010

8th Day of Christmas: Fimo Ornaments

My craft of choice is usually paper related, but I wanted to stretch myself a little and do something new... we have carried Fimo clay in our stores for a while now and because I had never used it I knew I wanted to try it out! I thought making some ornaments would be a good first project. I gathered a few supplies: an Exacto knife, craft wire, Sharpie maker and glitter along with the clay. The package of Fimo looks small but it goes a long way. You'll want to start by working the clay in your hands to soften it up a little. Then simply mold it into any shape you want. After I formed my ornaments I sprinkled some glitter on them and stuck a piece of wire so they could be hung, before hardening them in the oven (Bake at 230 degrees for 30 minutes). Here are the clay ornaments I made:




I have to admit that I was really nervous about if these would actually turn out or even be fun to make. But they turned out to be so much fun! Adding glitter was like the icing on the cake, so make sure you don't forget the glitter!

Happy 8th Day!
Christina

17 comments:

  1. These are so cute! I think the cup of cocoa is my favorite...but I love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are the cutest ornaments! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! You make it look so easy....may have to try it myself! Love the cupcake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally love these ornaments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really adorable. I never thought about adding glitter to clay. I will definitely have to try that. They are all so cute. Love the snowman. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are so cute and I just love that snowman!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This would be such a fun holiday party.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have just discovered your gorgeous Christmas accessories made of STAEDTLER FIMO - we'd love to meet you on our facebook fanpage http://www.facebook.com/STAEDTLER.headquarters !

    It would be great if you became a fan, too, and showed your lovely artworks to all other FIMO fans on our page.

    BTW: The candy cane looks so delicious & so pretty at the same time :)

    Hope to meet you soon and best regards from STAEDTLER headquarters in Germany, Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yvonne,
    Please email me at blog@paperzone.com. I was unable to post the link on your Facebook wall, but would love to share it. --Kim

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love these! I can't wait to try making them after work today!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adorable! My favorite is the mug of cocoa with the teeny marshmallows.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is what I made all my Christmas money from this year! I did craft shows where I made fimo earrings, ornaments, gingerbread houses and cute little figurines! You did a great job btw! Fimo is one of my most favorite things to work with!! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, the glitter makes a huge difference. I think the mug is my fave.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi again I wanted you to know I have added you to my blog hope you will add me to yours. i am just starting out on to work on my blog but plan to add many new things in 2011.

    here is my blog address http://www.bevinusa1.blogspot.com

    I see we share many things that we enjoy doing thank you again so much an Merry Christmas to you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi I am back again. I saw where you an your children were making beautiful ornaments from Martha Stewart I was wondering were you got the ideas and instructions from thank you again sorry for so many posts

    BevinUSA beverleemossman@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bevin,

    The Martha Stewart felt ornaments were from a kit that we carry at Paper Zone. As far as our other posts go, we have a number of people who work at Paper Zone who contribute to our blog. We find inspiration from ideas we see in magazines, other stores, on the internet, you name it. But our primary inspiration comes from our product. There are so many amazing papers, kits, art supplies, that the creativity never stops! Good luck with your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So cute! Is there a book that you carry for these?

    ReplyDelete