Monday, December 20, 2010

7th Day of Christmas - German Star




I have been making these German Stars this Christmas and I just love them. They may seem a little intimidating at first, but once you get the hang of it, they are quite easy. Making them involves some folding and weaving. There are really only 2 different folds you need to learn and they are repeated to complete the star. I have linked step by step instructions.

These stars can be used as gift embellishments, ornaments, or garland.


Hints:

You need to start with 4 strips of paper. They should be about 20 times long as they are wide That means for an 8.5x11 sheet of paper, your strips should be no wider than 6/16th of an inch. When I first started making these, I used some 8.5x14 sheets of paper so I could make my strips 1/2 an inch wide.


Fold your strips in half and trim the ends to make them easier to weave. I also trimmed the edges to make them a little narrower. This helps immensely with the weaving.


If you find it is difficult to weave the strips, clean them up by trimming the ends and edges.



Happy Crafting and Happy Holidays

Sandra

8 comments:

  1. These would be so great for gift bows! Thanks for the instructions and tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree they would make cute gift bows or even little ornaments,napkin rings or you could even put little candies in the pockets of the stars and use it as a place setting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pretty alternative to store bought bows!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the stars! I wonder if people with two left thumbs can make them LOL.........the ideas are endless as to what you can do with them

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely perfect as gift bows, and it looks like they'd hold up to car travel better than the store bought kind!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll have to try this. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love these stars! Thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete