Friday, April 22, 2011

Paper Easter Eggs


Decorating Easter eggs does not have to involve messy dyes or boiled eggs. Here is a quick and easy way to use some leftover scrapbook paper and make some super cute eggs. All you need is some cardstock paper, an oval punch and adhesive (preferably an ATG gun). I used Making Memories 12 x 12's from the Pitter Patter line and Basic Grey 12 x 12's from the Kioshi line. I really like the colors and think that the patterns offset the solids really well.

These eggs are super easy to make. Just punch a stack of ovals in a variety of colors and patterns. I used a scalloped edged oval punch, a smooth oval would be great too.

Each egg takes between 8 to 10 punched ovals. You can use less, but the more punches you use, the more intricate and beautiful the egg becomes.

Next, fold all of the ovals. You don't even need to score the folds. Just be very careful to fold the ovals down the center, especially if using a scalloped edge. You want to be sure that your edges all line up once you start the gluing. Also, remember when folding that the outer side of the paper gets adhered, so fold the color/side that you want visible on the inside.

Next, start gluing them all together. An ATG gun makes this a snap. Runner adhesive would work too. Put adhesive on one outer edge, add a folded piece, add adhesive to the next edge, add another piece and so on. Keep adding pieces until you have an accordian egg of about 8 to 10 pieces. That easy!

You can use pieces of all the same color, all solids or all print, you decide. I love this project, because, like dying eggs, each egg is unique and kids can have fun picking the papers and images they want in their egg. You could also try making some eggs out of the blooming seed paper and plant them after Easter.

For the final touch on my basket, I used my favorite Martha Stewart fringe scissors on some tissue paper to make some tissue grass. This is one basket that won't spoil or make you fat! Enjoy.

I hope you all have a wonderful and lovely Easter weekend,

Kim

1 comment:

  1. Love this!! I was looking for something dainty and Easter-y (I think I just made that word up) to hang from my chandelier over my table for a centerpiece for a party... I think these would be perfect. Do you think you could hang them with ribbon, etc.??

    ReplyDelete